Chocolate Pecan Pie – Nancy Naigle
I write love stories from the crossroad of small town and suspense. In the small town of Adams Grove there’s always something cooking. I’m here to share Pearl Clemmons Blue Ribbon Chocolate Pecan Pie from the first book in the series, SWEET TEA AND SECRETS. I thought it was appropriate since the new release is PECAN PIE AND DEADLY LIES. Hope you enjoy this recipe.
~ ~ ~
Pearl’s Blue-Ribbon Chocolate Pecan Pie
1 cup all purpose flour (refrigerated)
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold butter
6–8 tablespoons cold water
· The trick is in keeping the dough cold. Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
· Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until mixture becomes pebbly. Stir in enough water with a fork, just until flour is moistened. Don’t overwork the mixture.
· Shape dough into a ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
· Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters and place in a pie pan. Unfold, pressing dough firmly against the bottom and sides. Crimp edges.
· Prick the crust with a fork. Butter the bottom of a smaller cake pan and set it inside the pie crust in your pie pan. Heat for 8–10 minutes in a 475-degree oven until lightly browned.
4 Hershey’s chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounce size)
2 tablespoons margarine
3 large brown eggs
⅓ cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 handfuls of pecan halves
1 handful of coconut (optional)
Just a tap of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg
· Put your butter crust in your favorite pie dish—Pearl was partial to ceramic pie plates.
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
· In a double boiler, melt only 3.5 of the chocolate bars and the 2 tablespoons of margarine. Stir until smooth. Let cool slightly while you eat that leftover half of a chocolate bar.
· Whisk eggs lightly in medium bowl. Add sugar, corn syrup, chocolate mixture, and vanilla; stir until well blended. Mix pecans into chocolate mixture and then combine with the egg mixture.
· Set pie shell on heavy-duty baking sheet and pour in filling. Sprinkle the coconut across the top.
· Bake 50–55 minutes. The crust will be golden and a toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center.
· Cool pie on wire rack to room temperature before cutting. Serve with whipped topping and a few shavings from the last bit of the chocolate bar if you haven’t already eaten it.
Welcome to Adams Grove…where the pies are delicious but the lies are to die for.
America’s beloved country superstar Cody Tuggle never expected to be one of America’s most wanted. At least that’s how he feels since he’s been accused of murdering his scheming agent. Desperate to prove he’s innocent, he turns to his only alibi, award-winning photographer Kasey Phillips, who recently toured with him and his band.
After an exciting life on the road, Kasey has settled down in small-town Adams Grove with her five-year-old son. Unexpectedly reunited with Cody, she finds herself open to love again. But just when she’s ready to fall, everything she ever believed about him is called in to question.
Cody has waited a long time for genuine love, and he can’t let this chance with Kasey slip away. But as the evidence stacks up, the accusations against him put a damper on the sparks flying between them. Can he convince Kasey he’s innocent, and will she clear his name in time? Or will their dreams of the future be the victim of a deadly lie?
Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies is a sweet, down-home story of love overcoming all obstacles—from the crossroads of small town and suspense.
~ ~ ~