Sautéed Duck Breast with Berry Sauce – Ruth A. Casie
There were many issues facing Alex and Lisbeth, the least of which was the king’s appearance at Glen Kirk Castle but I’ll tell you all about that later. Lisbeth planned a banquet for the king featuring duck breast with berry sauce using her special garden berries. Here is Lisbeth’s recipe. I hope you get the same results she did!
~ ~ ~
Sautéed Duck Breast with Berry Sauce – serves 6
6 large boneless duck breast fillets, skin on
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup red wine
1 cup chicken or duck stock
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 cups berries: blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
2 tablespoons butter
1. Season the duck breast with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Brown the duck breast, skin side first, then flip over, reduce heat and cook other side, about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove the duck breasts to a platter, reserving the juices in the pan. Work in batches, if necessary.
4. To make the sauce, add the balsamic vinegar and red wine to the pan and cook until reduced by half.
5. Add the stock and reduce by half again, then add brown sugar, rosemary and berries and cook for 3 minutes.
6. Strain into a bowl and whisk in the butter to finish.
7. Place the duck breast on each plate and drizzle the sauce around.
Note: You can substitute jam for the berries just omit the sugar. You can also substitute chicken for the duck.
Lisbeth winked when she told me this was an old family recipe. If that is so then chef Robert Irvine of the Food Network is a distant relation! I used this recipe from Food Network after we remodeled the kitchen and I wanted a special dinner just for Paul and I. He licked his fingers and gave me a smoldering stare …
Lord Alex Stelton can’t resist a challenge, especially one with a prize like this: protect a castle on the Scottish border for a year, and it’s his. Desperate for land of his own, he’ll do anything to win the estate—even enter a proxy marriage to Lady Lisbeth Reynolds, the rumored witch who lives there.
Feared and scorned for her second sight, Lisbeth swore she’d never marry, but she is drawn to the handsome, confident Alex. She sees great love with him but fears what he would think of her gift and her visions of a traitor in their midst.
Despite his own vow never to fall in love, Alex can’t get the alluring Lisbeth out of his mind and is driven to protect her when attacks begin on the border. But as her visions of danger intensify, Lisbeth knows it is she who must protect him. Realizing they’ll secure their future only by facing the threat together, she must choose between keeping her magic a secret and losing the man she loves.
~ ~ ~
Book Trailer: http://bit.ly/19jej7y