TexMex Lasagna-Tory Michaels
Thanks for coming by to check out my romance recipe. Now, granted, this isn’t going to be something sexy, and since my main characters have all been vampires, you can guess they don’t eat this sort of thing for themselves. However, my husband and I LOVE this recipe. It originally came out of the American Heart Association Cookbook (7thEdition).
~ ~ ~
Vegetable oil spray
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 lb lean ground beef
1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella (AHA calls for Monterey Jack)
14.5-ounce can tomatoes, undrained (AHA says unsalted, we don’t bother)
16 6-inch corn tortillas, halved
1/2 cup salsa (this is somewhere you can add spice)
15-ounce can navy beans, rinsed and drained (AHA says no-salt added)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 can whole-kernel corn (AHA says 1c frozen)
1 cup fat-free/low-fat ricotta cheese
7-ounce can sliced black olives (AHA says 1/4 cup)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1. Preheat oven to 375◦, lightly spraying a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef for 7-8 minutes (medium-high), or until browned, stirring occasionally. You can drain/rinse the beef, but we generally don’t. If you do, return beef to skillet.
3. Stir in tomatoes, salsa and salt, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes or until warmed through, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat, but leave skillet on the stove.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, chili powder, and cumin.
5. Arrange 8 tortilla halves in the baking dish (they can overlap, that’s to be expected).
6. Spread half of the beef mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle using half of your mozzarella (or Jack, if you use the Jack).
7. Arrange another 8 tortilla halves.
8. Spoon 1-tablespoon mounds of the ricotta mixture over the tortillas, then flatten each mound slightly, pouring the beans and corn on top.
9. Put on another layer of tortillas.
10. Add remaining meat, sprinkle with the last of the cheese, add the olives.
11. Put on the last set of 8 tortilla halves.
12. Cover with aluminum foil.
13. Bake for 30 minutes, or until warmed through.
If this is too bland for you as is (it was the first time we tried it), Tabasco sauce works wonders, as does adding a jalepeno pepper and/or hot salsa rather than mild or medium.
One hundred ninety-eight seasons after the mushroom-shaped clouds first blossom to poison the humans of the Rising Sun, near the beginning of the Season of Inundation, Atlantis will return.
With those words ringing in their ears, vampires Christine Javert and Jordan MacNaught find themselves in a race against time to stop the return of Atlantis. As they hunt for the deadly Ares, they discover the true depths of his plot to incite a world-wide species war, turning the humans against all the non-humans, not just the vampires as they’d originally thought.
~ ~ ~