Vegetarian Reuben Sandwiches – Hailey Edwards
One of my favorite aunts is a vegetarian, so I keep an eye out for new dishes I think she would enjoy. When one of my editors tweeted about a delicious vegetarian Reuben sandwich, I tweeted right back and asked her for the recipe. Since I had never cooked with tempeh, I gave this recipe a go. There was a learning curve, but it was so worth the effort. These sandwiches were stellar!
If you’d like more information on tempeh, you can check out this website.
~ ~ ~
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup dill pickle, minced
2 tablespoons onion, minced
2 teaspoons Sriracha
6 ounces tempeh, sliced
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoons whole black peppercorns, crushed
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 and 1/2 cups fresh sauerkraut
Rye bread, sliced
1. Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Chill until ready to serve.
2. Tempeh: Combine the cider, soy sauce, crushed peppercorns and caraway in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir frequently.
3. When the mixture is ready to boil, add the tempeh.
4. Adjust the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Heat the olive oil until shimmering in a sauté pan over medium heat.
6. Add the tempeh and sauté until lightly crisped, around 3-4 minutes.
7. Lightly butter a frying pan and place over medium heat.
8. Assemble each sandwich as you like, then place onto the hot surface, grilling each side for about 1-2 minutes.
Additional steps: My editor suggested heating the sauerkraut with olive oil, caraway seeds, and a little caramelized onion before adding to the sandwich.
Adapted from The Curvy Carrot.
Hope dangles by a silken thread.
When her mother is murdered in her nest, Lourdes has one choice: she must marry before her own nest is seized. All she needs is a warrior fierce enough to protect her city and safeguard her clansmen. Such a male is Rhys the Cold.
Rhys’s clan is starving, but their taste for the Araneaean flesh makes them unwelcome dinner guests. Yet Lourdes threatens to melt the cold encasing his heart. When her sister is captured, they pursue their enemies, where she will discover if she’s worth her silk or if she’s spun the thread by which her clan will hang.
Warning: This book contains one mercenary hero with a biting fetish, one determined heroine who gets nibbled, and an answer to the age-old question, “What does dragon taste like?” Matricide and sibling rivalry are available upon request. The house special is revenge, best served cold.
~ ~ ~